Working out causes weight gain! Nothing new here. But do we understand why? And what can we do about it?
Diet alone can make you lose weight (temporarily at least). But exercise alone rarely works. Combine the two though and you have a real recipe for success! But why?
One of the main reasons is that we succumb to what is known as ‘hedonistic compensation’. It means that where we feel we missed out on pleasure in one area, we seek to compensate it somewhere else. In simple terms it means: “I’ve had a lousy day, I deserve a treat!” Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
Different studies have shown that where people see physical activity as ‘fun’ rather than ‘exercise’, meant that they not only tended to stick to it more but they also chose healthier snacks when presented with different options and chose to eat less junk food for meals. This is because those who experience exercise as a reward in its own right don’t feel the need to compensate elsewhere.
So the key is to turn exercise into ‘FUN’! A good personal trainer or coach will be able to help you with that. Group sports are also a good way to experience physical activity in a rewarding way.
– Think about what you might enjoy
– Make the program fit around you, not the other way around
– Build on success – Make it social
– Think “movement” instead of “exercise”
– Think about playing rather than working out. Stop counting reps, sets and intervals
– Make it a game in whatever way works for you
– And of course, JOIN JUMPA to give you the best chance of success!